Lockdown Recipe: Hacienda Pie
Kate Shreffler, Sales & Marketing Manager
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion (I blitz mine in the food processor so my kids don’t know it’s in there, but you can roughly chop it if you prefer)
- 500g minced beef
- 2 minced or crushed garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes (or you can use pasata if your family doesn’t love tomato chunks)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- 150ml boiling beef stock
- 400g can of baked beans, rinsed and drained (or red kidney beans, if you prefer)
- 4 or 5 potatoes, peeled, rinsed and thinly sliced
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beef and cook until browned. Stir in the garlic and chillies and cook for 2 minutes, then sprinkle over the cumin, coriander, paprika and cinnamon, stir in and cook for 1 minute.
- Preheat your over to 200 degrees/fan 180 degrees/gas 6.
- Add the tomatoes, puree, sweetcorn, stock and beans to the beef and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste, spoon the beef into a large overproof dish and cover with the potato slices. Heavily coat the potato slices with low-calorie cooking spray and cook in the oven for between 30-45 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy.
- Serve with hot fresh season vegetables and a slice of garlic bread if desired.